Thursday, September 12, 2024

 Good Morning from Bonn Germany!

I can't believe I'm really here! I left Colorado Springs a little nervous, but my flights were smooth and I met many fellow travelers along the way! 

I did not have jet lag as I did the last time I was in Europe. This time I prepared. No need for jet lag pills. I went to bed earlier a few days before departure, drank water with electrolytes on the plane, and took something to help me sleep on the plane. While it wasn't the most comfortable sleep I've ever had, it was enough for me to wake up and think, "wow, we are in Germany already". When I arrived in Munich, I was a little worried about navigating around the airport, but it was unnecessary. the airline app. told me what gate to go to and even gave me a map of the terminal! All the signs were in both German and English. If that failed me, I had Google Translate!  Everything went smoothly and I was completely at ease! 

Once at the KOLN airport I was greeted heartily by my friend Michel. I saw him last at Rachael's wedding in April 2023, but it seemed like no time at all had passed! I told Michel that I wanted to get a big, soft pretzel with mustard and he scoffed at me! No one in Germany would put mustard on a pretzel! I was very surprised! So much for "Bavarian Pretzels". This is a mystery that Michel is determined to figure out!

As we drove to Bonn, from Cologne, I looked around at my surroundings. The houses are so quaint. So different than many of the places I've lived in the U.S. 

We went first to the grocery store so that I could get some things to eat for breakfast. The atmosphere itself was so different from the states. Just friendlier. The bread here is irresistible! There are so many items that are different. I have noted before that just going shopping in another country is an adventure! We are so spoiled in the U.S. I wanted to buy carrots, but Michel said that it might be too late for that.  They only have fresh vegetables and fruits when they are in season! Of course, you can always get canned or frozen, but they do not grow things all times of the year or import them from far away places.

We arrived finally at the house and I met Michel's partner, Iris, and her daughter, Finya. Warm, wonderful, people. I felt right at home.😊 The house is beautiful. It is three levels and the garden is also amazing! It was a wonderful first day in Germany!

Here are yesterday's pictures! 


 

No comments: