Sunday, July 6, 2008

Clothes Shopping

July 2, 2008-(Wednesday)- Palumpur

Today was another fulfilling day with the children. They are really getting used to me, all the children, not just the ones in my classes. When they see me leave at the end of the day, the little ones crowd around me to hug me goodbye. It is really sweet. I am so glad that I brought my laptop with me. Despite the fact that it is heavy and bulky, it is allowing me to bring video on any subject area to the kids in this village school. Children who have never seen the ocean can see it on my little screen. Also, they are looking at the video of my home and of Joel and Rachael and they are learning a little about American culture.
After school, I was able to get Anna to agree to go to Amritsar with me to see the Golden Temple. Before the day was over, there were two more people wanting to join us. I am very happy and excited. Rachael will be thrilled as well.
Following lunch, it was time to go shopping. I had changed money in Dharmasala yesterday and I was ready to put some to use. I went in search of fabric. I shopped for hours. In the end I was in the tailor’s shop drinking tea and explaining to her how to make me some “western” clothing. I’ll have a new wardrobe when I get home and it will all have been custom made for me and designed by me. I can’t wait to get the clothes back !
While in the village I bought some vegetables and made a stir-fry to go along with dinner. The veggies were gone in no time. Everyone asked for more stir-frys likes this in the future.
I logged on to my FCCJ email. 19 papers needed grading. By the time I was finished, I was exhausted, and went to bed.

No comments: