Thursday, July 17, 2008

July 14, 2008-(Monday)- Palumpur, India

Today we went to the school only for an hour or so. Since the regular school year is over, we will be starting a summer camp for the kids tomorrow. Today we went to just drop off a few things. After this I was dropped off at Dr. Singh’s so that he could remove the temporary crown and make a mold for the new one. His office looked like any other office in the U.S. except for the fact that he didn’t have 8 different rooms, a television in the ceiling, or any computer appointment system. All the basic dental equipment was there. I was concerned there would be pain, but there wasn’t any because the tooth was already dead. It took about ½ hour and then he took the mold with the same sticky stuff they use in the states…. and off I went. I made my way to the market to bring the tailor some more material… to make really soft PJ’s for me! At 3pm we left for Dharmasala to attend the opening of the new school for disabled children. We got there around 4:45 and it was raining. The ceremony was supposed to begin at 5:30, so we had some time to kill. I got to talk to Seth’s mom and she gave me a tour of the building. Then some of the other CCS volunteers from Dharmasala arrived and I hung out with them. It wasn’t long before the new volunteers arrived and I got to meet them. What a great bunch of people. What a difference from the childish group I came with. Included in the group were 2 families. One was a mother daughter group (Beth & daughter gabby). The other was a whole family, Dad- Shri Rom, Usha, and son AJ. The latter are originally from India, but wanted to expose their son to Indian culture since he was born and raised in the U.S.

The ceremony began late because the mayor was late arriving. Because of this I missed my meeting with Dietland and Rootie. Instead, I rode back to Palumpur with some of the new group. I had fun talking to them. One thing I did realize is that I am in a totally different socio-economic level from most of these volunteers. Shri Rom is an executive for Intel, his wife Usha has a PhD in biochemistry and works for a pharmaceutical company. Miffa’s parents are wealthy and she has attended boarding schools and her parents gave her this trip for Christmas! Most of the young people who came with this group have parents who are paying their trip expenses and a few of them are going to some really interesting colleges. One lives in the U.S. and is going to do a semester in London! I have to say that I am envious in the best way. Not only do I envy their ease in having funds to travel, but the fact that they are able to travel at such a young age. I’ve just begun traveling last year at 42. In my view, they are so very, very, lucky…. but this is all relative. After all I am spending time with children who may never even travel out of Palumpur. I must be grateful for the opportunities I have.

No comments: