Sunday, July 13, 2008

A learning experience...

July 10, 2008-(Thursday)- Palumpur, India

In school today we began to paint the illustrations on the walls of the classroom. Jo outlined her sketches with black, and I colored the pictures in. It was actually a lot of fun. After school we had the meeting with the staff. Juggy, Gee too, the doctor who donated the land for the school, and all the staff, met in the biggest classroom. I spoke in English, and the doctor translated into Hindi. Although most of the teachers spoke some English, I didn’t want the meaning of my words lost in translation. The teachers were quiet throughout the meeting. When asked for feedback, no one said a word. I thanked them for listening and we left. Juggy says that hopefully they will have a change in attitude. If even one teacher makes an effort, then we have been successful. Hopefully we will see a change.

After lunch I went to see Pooja as promised. We visited for about 1 ½ hours, and then I left. As I was leaving her dad drove up with Vicrown. I invited the family to dinner on this coming Tuesday night. I would treat them to dinner at the hotel restaurant. I was going to cook for them at the house and deliver it to them, but after thinking about the logistics of buying the food, cooking, transporting the food, etc. I figured it would be less trouble to just take them out to eat. Besides, I’m sure they don’t go out to eat often, if at all.

Since coming to India, I have been quite lonely. Although I moved into another room, I have yet to get a roommate. The new volunteers are coming on July 14th, so I’ve been on my own. The younger volunteers have made up their own cliques, and tend to ignore me most of the time. Some are actually rude. One positive thing is that I have gone out by myself and made friends in the village like Pooja and her family. All I can think of is how much more fun this would have been with Joel and Rachael, or one of my friends from home. Still, it is a growing experience. I am learning how to not depend emotionally on others. A difficult lesson to learn.

Of the two houses CSS is renting, all of the volunteers will be gone from the house I’m in as of tonight. They are the 3 week group. New volunteers don’t arrive until Monday night. I’m alone in this huge house. My only friend, Jo, left today to go to Dharmasala. CCS left two staff to stay in the house with me so I wouldn’t be alone, but they are men, are staying on the lower floor, and don’t speak much English…. I’m so glad I have this computer!

No comments: