Monday, July 2, 2012

Four Corners and Travel....

We decided to head over to the Grand Canyon and not go back to Mesa Verde today.  I hope at another time I will be able to go back because there are lots of hiking trails.  We did laundry, got gas, ate breakfast, and headed to the Grand Canyon when.... I realized that it is only July 2nd and we aren't due to the Grand Canyon till July 3rd !  Guess that's what happens when you loose track of the day and date !  We decided to just head towards the Grand Canyon and see what we would run into.  We got about 1.5 hours down the road when we saw the sign for Four Corners Monument.  This is a place where four states come together and you can literally be in four states at once !  Today at around 2pm I was simultaneously in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico ! 

This is located on a reservation so we were able to buy some Native American souveniers.  Once we were through shopping we got back on the road.  This part of the country is desolate... nothing but desert for miles.  This land is practically useless and it angers me that my ancestors took good land from Native Americans and "gave them" this useless land in return.  It is so unfair.  While I am glad that I am a United States citizen, I am ashamed of some of the things our government has done to other ethnic groups in the past.  What makes it worse is that after over 2 centuries our government still has not made things right with the indigenous people of North America.  We have seen lots of Native Americans out here.  Contrary to popular belief, most DO NOT speak Spanish !  Most Native Americans speak English and a native tongue.  Another thing I noticed is that I have not seen any "black" people.  I wonder why 'African Americans' do not seem to live here in the southwest.

After miles of driving through desert we decided to stop in Tuba City, AZ for the night.  We found a little hotel on the reservation which is clean and inexpensive. 

Thus far I have really enjoyed the time I've spent with Rachael.  Short of a few typical teenager arguments, we are doing fine even though we have been together 24/7.  Rachael makes friends with everyone she meets, asks questions, and spontaneously just hugs me and says "I love you".  This has been such a great experience for us both.  Rachael is so cautious with me, always worried that I'm going to get hurt.  I guess since I fell in 2006 and dislocated my elbow, she is afraid I'm going to fall.
Well, I'm going to head to bed for now.  Tomorrow, the Grand Canyon at last !

Today's pictures can be found at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/104423898538711271791/July22012FourCorners?authkey=Gv1sRgCLK63NjYjNfZHQ


No comments: