Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Friday, June 2, 2017- Heidelberg Castle



Our first day of exploring Heidelburg began with preparing for our trip into the city.  For my friends and readers who wonder how I can afford to travel on a teacher’s salary, here’s your first clue.  Don’t eat out if you don’t have to.  Of course you will want to try new foods and restaurants when you travel, but try to keep it to once a day.  When I book accommodations I try to get ones that include breakfast.  Whatever is offered, I eat well, and if possible, grab a piece of fruit for a later snack.  Here in Germany, water is not free when you order a meal.  Neither are there water fountains near the restrooms (which you pay to use—but that’s another point I’ll address later)  Instead, everyone drinks bottled water.  When I asked why, there was no real reason, everyone just has always done so.  Perhaps this is from a much earlier time when the water was not as good as today.  As I drink tap water at home, I drink tap water here as well.  We took the tram into the old part of the city without any difficulties and hiked up to the Castle.  It was so interesting.  The tour guide wasn’t so informative, but I looked up more information on my “handy” –the slang term for smart phone, in Germany.  We met many people along the way.  At one point we went to the castle gardens and I took a short nap of about 20 minutes.  See my video.  While exploring the castle, we met a young man from the U.S. who was doing a video blog.  He let me do a “shout-out” to my students and friends so I hope you will check it out here.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAcB68L3Bjori1kFwvlIE9g/featured
After the castle we started on our way back to our Airbnb and stopped to have a cup of coffee at a café.  There we met Laurie who lived there but who was originally from South Dakota !  She showed us a fantastic Turkish restaurant (similar to what we would think of as Greek food).  Then she invited us to her house for some wine and good conversation.  After a short tram ride we collapsed in our beds exhausted.  More exploring and SHOPPING tomorrow.
Pictures are here:
















































No comments: