Tuesday, June 6, 2017

‘Learning our Lessons’-Wednesday, May 31, 2017



Today I had to switch gears and become “Professor Rader” again.  I am teaching a course online so I had to check in with students and help them through the process of getting set up with their online assignment.  It was a good anchor to keep me grounded because being away from home for so long can make things seem a bit surreal. Sometimes I feel like I’m in a dream.  Today Natascha & Michel are working and their children are at school so I decided to just have a quiet day.  They had some work they wanted to do in the garden so I volunteered to help out.  It really was nice to just do something “normal” and mindless for a change.  When everything is new from how to open a door to the language, to the local customs, your mind is continually “on” processing every movement.  It is no wonder why I am so mentally exhausted at the end of each day.

Later on, in the evening, Natascha’s friend brought us homemade Hungarian Goulash. 


 It was amazing !  I cannot describe it but to say that it is pieces of pork in a brown sauce served with dumplings and red cabbage.  I am going to try to make this at home. 

In planning for our next excursion, I learned some important lessons.  If you try to change a train ticket after you make it, you lose your money with just a refund of about $20.  So my advice to you and myself:  Book early and be sure about your dates.

No comments: