Friday, June 9, 2017

Tuesday, June 6, 2017: Exploring Ghent



We had a wonderful day today exploring the area.  We went to a grocery store and attempted to buy some groceries and were again curious about the products that they had, and didn’t have as well as the fact that there is a bicycle parking area INSIDE the store !  After packing some sandwiches and snacks we took off in the city and visited some of the beautiful churches.  We took some pictures of a Medieval Castle and stopped to have a beer at one of the pubs.  While at the pub, we made friends with Arne Joos, the bartender.  He helped us sample some beers and joked around with us for a while.  He was very kind and told us about another local bar where we could sample over 200 different beers !  We hope to visit there in the next few days.  Along with consuming much more beer than usual, I also have been drinking a LOT of coffee.  The coffee here in Germany & Belgium has been wonderful, and every time you order coffee, you get a cookie or some other small pastry to accompany it. I love it here !  I took several pictures of the streets so you can see how small they are as opposed to our streets at home.  Also notice all the bicycles parked in the area.  We are learning the tram/bus system but I fear that by the time I have it down completely it will be time to move on to the next city/country.  Next year I am going to choose ONE city/country and stay there for 3-4 weeks.  It is very, very, tiring moving from city to city.  We are even getting a little home sick.  When I get home all I want to do is sit on my couch and watch reruns of Grey’s Anatomy!
Today’s Pictures are here

No comments: