Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 3: Lost in Bath / Travel to Manchester

We got rather a late start after our exciting trip the night before. The plan was to stop in Bath for a few hours on our way to Manchester and see the old Roman Baths, and maybe even have a Spa treatment or two. .. That was the plan anyway. When we first got into town we were surprised at how large a city it was. The first order of business for me, with my small bladder was to find a restroom, and quick! We were on a one way street when I spotted a McDonald's so I asked Tim to just pull over and let me off.  That's what we did, I had to use the toilet so urgently that I didn't think of anything else. I assumed Tim would go around the block and come get me and we'd be on our way. I used the "loo", and went back out to wait for Tim. There was a little bench outside the McDonald's so I sat there. When he didn't show for 10 minutes, I figured he was stuck in traffic since it was rush hour. When 20 minutes went by I started getting uncomfortable, then 40 minutes, then 45 minutes.... I couldn't call him because my phone was with him on the bike. I believed that he was either lost, or had been in an accident. Since he had the GPS, I started to think the latter. I started wondering what I should do. "Do I go into the McDonald's and ask to use the phone? Who do I call? I had no money, no identification, --nothing. Over an hour had gone by. . I was sitting there beginning to panic when Tim walked up behind me looking just as paniced as I. We cried in relief. Not only did he get stuck in traffic, he got caught in a traffic detour due to a University graduation which had just ended. When he finally got on to a clear road, he was lost. When he put the McDonalds address into the GPS, it took him to a Street but there wasn't a McDonald's there. He finally parked the bike and started out on foot to find me. Needless to say by the end of this ordeal we just got on the bike and rode towards Manchester. We arrived in Manchester fairly late, 10pm, and went to our host's house. We knocked for over 10 minutes before they answered, we thought we were in the wrong place. When they finally answered, we just went in and went to bed. No pictures today. :(

No comments: